Saturday, December 26, 2009

merry christmas to me!

This is my new table and chairs I got myself for Christmas!
I absolutely love the antique look. Its amazing what a little primer, paint and sandpaper can do. I started refinishing these tables and chairs around Thanksgiving with my parents help.
This "little" project became a "big" project and I didn't finish until Christmas Eve.
(actually I still am not finished, I need to put on a coat of polyurethane, then I can claim, I'm finished!)

Steve helped paint and recover the seats. He did a beautiful job!
This table is about 60 years old. It was purchased by my Grandpa and Grandma Beck when my dad was a little boy. Somehow when she passed, I inherited the table and 6 chairs.
We moved the table to Iowa with us but only used it for a month because it was so ugly. It sat in the basement of a friends house for two years. Then during the move to Michigan we lost a chair and the table became our computer desk. I couldn't bear to get rid of it because of sentimental value and because it makes into a HUGE table with only 5 chairs. I have 3 leaves that can be used, making it into a 100 inch (8ft) table.
It doesn't go with the rest of the furniture in the house, but I love it so much I can't place it back in the computer room. Atleast not yet!

8 comments:

Dave& Jaime Adams said...

You did an awesome job. I love how it looks. I want to redo our entertainment center and my dresser. When I did it back before Dave and I got married I didn't realize that the black wasn't a true black its more grey and doesn't look real good.

Matt and Jessie said...

I LOVE it! It looks so great! It took me a minute to reconize it. It is fun to have a little piece of Grandma and Grandpa.

Skye O. said...

OK...I've tried to leave two messages, but Allison's computer isn't so great.

SO..I LOVE, LOVE LLLOOOVVEEEE IT! You have been a busy bee. Can't wait to sit my bum on those beautiful chairs. Just don't let Nixon sit there -k?

Good work. Now I need to find me a pretty table to work on.

Anonymous said...

Those are the cutest table and chairs ever. I really like them and I think they look really good in there. G Tammy

Brizzee said...

I love your table. It is so cute. It makes me want to do that to our ugly table. Dave keeps wanting to refinish it but I say lets just buy a new one. You are so talented.

Shacone said...

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL....you did a great job....
Hi from Idaho!
:)Shacone

Anonymous said...

Way to go Celeste-I know how much work that is! They turned out beautiful! -Mary T.

Capture The Moment Photography said...

i love em!!!