I can't believe a whole year has pasted since Shauni and I ran the Des Moines Marathon. It was such a great experience. Something that I will never forget. I didn't have a blog last year at this time so I only have the memories in my head, but I need to write them down so I will always remember. The story started after I came back from Idaho for the summer and Shauni and I were on a long run along the Neal Smith trail. We got this great idea to ask our manager at work if he would sponsor us for the marathon. It didn't take much persuasion, he said he would pay our entry fee which was $80/person. We were so excited and grateful. Then came the early mornings of training. We got up everyday about 6am before our husbands left for school at 7:15am and ran. On Saturday's we would do our long runs. Most of the time we were running in the dark. We ran up and down all of the trails and sidewalks within a 10 mile radius of our home. I think our favorite run was across the Saylorville dam early in the morning as the sun was coming up. The Saylorville dam was high enough that you could look out across and see the few tall buildings in downtown Des Moines which was about 12-13 miles from where we were running.
Saturday's were our long runs which usually consisted of 2-4 HOURS of running. The time goes by fast. The first couple of hours we would just chit-chat and then we would run out of things to say so we started taking our i-pods and we listened to music the last 2 hours. We started eating these power gels to get us through our longer run. They were disgusting! But they helped out so much. So as time went on the marathon got closer and on Oct 21, 2007 we started our pace for the marathon. We were so excited and nervous at the same time. We knew this was once in a lifetime opportunity and we were going to do everything we could to finish. As they say at some point everyone hits there "wall". Mine was about mile 19 and I was getting so tired, my legs were cramping and I was getting very dizzy. I remember sitting in the port-i-potty thinking that it was going to tip over while I was in there. That was a SCARY feeling! About this time we saw all kinds of people laying on the side of the trail crying, or people just collapsing on the side because their legs were cramping. But we kept pushing ourselves and over the course of 4 hours, 45 mins we finished the marathon. I'm still amazed we finished while running. Don't get me wrong, we didn't run the whole time, we had to take some breaks and walk, but we did finish running. It took us longer than we had anticipated but at that point we were just excited we made it. I will forever be grateful to Shauni for helping me complete my goal of running a whole 26.2 miles. I couldn't have done it without her.
Saturday's were our long runs which usually consisted of 2-4 HOURS of running. The time goes by fast. The first couple of hours we would just chit-chat and then we would run out of things to say so we started taking our i-pods and we listened to music the last 2 hours. We started eating these power gels to get us through our longer run. They were disgusting! But they helped out so much. So as time went on the marathon got closer and on Oct 21, 2007 we started our pace for the marathon. We were so excited and nervous at the same time. We knew this was once in a lifetime opportunity and we were going to do everything we could to finish. As they say at some point everyone hits there "wall". Mine was about mile 19 and I was getting so tired, my legs were cramping and I was getting very dizzy. I remember sitting in the port-i-potty thinking that it was going to tip over while I was in there. That was a SCARY feeling! About this time we saw all kinds of people laying on the side of the trail crying, or people just collapsing on the side because their legs were cramping. But we kept pushing ourselves and over the course of 4 hours, 45 mins we finished the marathon. I'm still amazed we finished while running. Don't get me wrong, we didn't run the whole time, we had to take some breaks and walk, but we did finish running. It took us longer than we had anticipated but at that point we were just excited we made it. I will forever be grateful to Shauni for helping me complete my goal of running a whole 26.2 miles. I couldn't have done it without her. So today is the 1 year anniversary of the marathon and hopefully it won't be the last one I run. I did promise Steve that I wouldn't train for anymore until he was done with school. Until then, I'll keep running my 20 miles/week.
12 comments:
I love this post! I was laughing and crying and I actually got CHILLS. That probably sounds retarded, but I have so many strong emotions connected with our training/running and the actual marathon- you are so right, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I would really like to run another one, but it just wouldn't be the same without you. I never could have pushed myself without you to motivate me. Thanks for all the fun memories and the great recap- I sure miss those early morning runs.
Celeste, you are AMAZING!! That is so awesome that you did that! I didn't know that you were a runner (or maybe I don't remember :) but I am in awe. I don't run. I don't even like running. And people that do are just awesome to me because I wish I liked running. Thanks for sharing!!
You guys are my heros. Was that really a year ago? Time flies...kind of sad kind of good. :)
Celeste you're awesome!!! I just ran 3.5 miles yesterday in 40 minutes and that kicked my butt. I can't imagine 26.2 miles??? I would like to do it though someday. Maybe I will be ready the next time you do one. That would be fun. Love you and can't wait to see you guys in January.
That is a great accomplishment Celeste. It really motivates me. Thank you.
Missed you guys at the wedding.
You are incredible!! I have really developed a love for exercise since I have had my kids, but never really a love for running. Running is so stinking hard and I get frustrated too fast with it. A lot of my friends were way into the marathons some of them were into triathalons, I was always really jealous of their love for it. I don't have it in me. It is such a fun thing to have such an acomplishment.
Oh my gosh!! I seriously can't believe you actually ran an entire marathon! What a WOMEN! I am jealous. I just know I don't have that kind of motivation in me, but WOW that is amaziong.
We do hope to stay in Pocatello when Dave is done. Believe it or not we love it here. We love our house, neighborhood, ward and we have made some great friends here. Dave said there are some family practice doctors here that are going to retire, so we are hoping to reap the benifits of that. We have also heard there is a shortage of FPs here. I guess we will see what kindof offers he gets. The residency program is amazing here. They are really family friendly and flexible.
How about you guys? Where do you hope to end up?
You are such an inspiration to anyone who has the desire to run a marathon. You don't deny that it is hard but you still make us feel that it is worth it. I think you are right--it is a mind game--but one only some of us are willing to play. I hope to share my own marathon story with you some day.
I am so proud of you for going after it with so many other family obligations you have. Keep it up! I can't wait to hear about the next one!
I can't believe you did that! The only exercise I get it lifting food to my mouth. I couldn't imagine that. You are amazing!!!!!
Sarah
Celeste, good for you! You did awesome by accomplishing your goal of running. That is really cool.
Good job Celeste! You have so much ambition. You would only find me running if I was being chased by a bad guy and even then I don't know if I could get away!
Shelly
Post a Comment